Wednesday, October 13, 2010

First time gelato!

Our coffee shop on Etsy was featured on a cool blog that I love, ThoseAlaskanGirls. They put together a list of Alaskan artists to support and I think it's pretty cool, so check it out! ThoseAlaskanGirls are best known for their super awesome and fun SLUGS boot warmers, but they also have some great jewelry. I know a ton of my friends have silver earrings like the ones they make. They go with everything!

Tuesday night I made chocolate gelato for the first time. We have owned the ice cream maker attachment for our KitchenAid mixer for a couple of months now but have never used it before. (My KitchenAid is the "Ice" color that I linked to. It's so pretty!) My friend Brian mentioned he was making chocolate gelato and, since I am on a gelato kick since having it this weekend, I thought, "I want to do that, too!" So he shared his gelato recipe he used with me and I think it's going to turn out great. Right now I'm listening to it mix in the kitchen to get icy. I sneaked a couple tastes of the chocolate goodness and it's pretty tasty!

This was the recipe Brian sent me.

I have to mention: I did have kitty help, so it's possible this is why the gelato is turning out so well.

Testing to see how the mixer attachments fit on, since this was the first time I'd put them onto the stand.

Getting the chocolate ready (I used Theo chocolate) and pouring the sugar into the egg yolks.

Stirring the chocolate mixture in the last step before putting it into the fridge to chill.

I love this picture of Halo Cat! Kitties love gelato.

I chilled the mixture in the fridge and then put it into the ice cream mixer for half an hour.

It made deliciously chocolatey sludge! We'll see tomorrow how it freezes up. Yum!

 Edit: It is now Wednesday morning and I just ate a couple bites of gelato. It turned out good! It's really chocolatey and yummy. I can't wait to eat some tonight!

Today I was really excited because we got the car back AND Jonathan was able to find a tire for my bike. I have two more modes of transportation available to me now! I'm not sure if Jonathan is going to fix my tire tonight or not, so I think I might just take transit to work the rest of the week. Maybe drive on Friday, just because I can. I'm supposed to get my REI order on Thursday, so I could wear a new outfit on Friday. Oooh.

I also got my "Shopping For Porcupine" book in the mail today and there are so many pictures inside! I am really, really excited to read this book. I wish I could stay home tomorrow and just read all day and finish this book. Stupid work infringing on my reading. :o)

2 comments:

  1. I just loved the stuff the "ThoseAlaskanGirls" had on their Etsy store! Great prices and VERY creative. The whole "slugs" name = genius! I also really liked both the custom copper dog tag and the copper raindrop hammered earrings! I have a hard time finding jewelery I really like as well as jewelery I'd really/truly wear in my day to day life (not just dream about someday finding a way to pull of wearing a super wild piece of jewelery).

    As always, great blog entry and thanks for sharing!

    ~M~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm so glad you liked their stuff! I really like their things and they're so nice! I just saw on Facebook that you posted some ideas for your husband. I like that. ;o)

    ReplyDelete