Wednesday, November 14, 2012

I'm No Longer Making Soap


Yup, you read that title right. I have been doing a lot of thinking and I have decided that I'm no longer going to be making soap. It's been a nice ride. I thought it would be a good way to make some side money, but, unfortunately, if you don't sell much soap then you don't really make much side money. I have tried advertising, blogging, coupons, sales, giveaways, and all sorts of stuff, but you can't make people buy soap from you. My friends don't buy much soap. I don't sell much soap on Etsy. I haven't sold any soap on Big Cartel. I'm just tired of beating a dead horse. I do enjoy making soap and I do think I have an awesome product, but there are so many other soap makers and things to contend with that I'm okay with this decision. I have really enjoyed making soap. I like knowing what's in what I'm using on my body. It made me feel good knowing I was supplying a product that supported my beliefs. But now I've been making it for almost two years and have had some ups and downs. I'm okay with my decision. I tried it and it didn't work. Not everything one tries is going to work, but I know I put effort into it and gave it my best.

So what does that mean? I'm going to be selling my backstock at $5 a bar until I have no more soap. I'll keep some for myself, of course, and I might make some for myself since I do really like my product. I think I'm at a good place to quit. (What does that even mean?) I'll try and sell my ingredients to maybe other soap makers? (What DOES one do with a 25lb block of high temp coconut oil? Several gallons of olive oil?) I'm not worrying about it. Things will happen in time. It was really nice while it lasted but, like my last post, I'm ready to move forward in life! That doesn't include worrying about how many views I'm getting on Etsy, how many sales I'm making, how much time I'm putting into hoping I get something out of it.

And now this means that I *still* will be selling soap as it happens. I'm not going to pursue further advertising. Nothing comes out of it that I am putting into it. I still have ads that will run until the end of the year but after that we'll see what happens. Maybe all of my friends will be getting soap for Christmas. ;o) I'm just looking forward to trying something else. I am positive about the whole experience. It was great!

Big, huge, awesome thanks to everyone who did buy soap from me! It was really appreciated and I am still putting any money toward my travel fund, because I still got trips to pay for! Holiday time is coming up, so you know, any sales that I make will go toward those! If you want to check out my $5 soaps, there's links all along the right side of the page. You'll be my hero. ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment