Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Making It Happen

Yesterday morning I signed up for a fast-paced Spanish class for those people who have taken or known Spanish at some point in their life. I used to be a pretty good speaker of Russian and Spanish but lost my skills because I didn't have anyone to talk to in Ketchikan that knew either language, aside from my fellow students. So I lost my knowledge, but have always wanted to take the classes again for both languages because now that I live in Portland, there is a greater chance of me being able to use either.

Now there is a bigger reason for me to take Spanish! I had already decided a couple months ago that I wasn't going to be able to take the original trip to South America and Antarctica that I was planning to go on. There was going to be more hiking than my knees would be able to stand and I didn't want to push myself into signing up for something I wasn't physically going to be able to do. (My knees have been worse lately so who knows how bad they'll be in a year and a half. I'd rather play it safe.)

I was feeling okay with not doing the long hiking trip, but I still really wanted to see Patagonia, darn it. I want to see the Torres del Paine National Park! After talking to people and doing some research I have decided to do the Spirit of Shackleton tour that I was already planning on, but I would now like to stay longer in Ushuaia after my Antarctica trip ends. I can take a bus to the Torres del Paine National Park and stay there for a day or two and then head back to Ushuaia. Because I would be spending more time by myself I think it would be a good idea to know Spanish again.

Who wouldn't want to be able to spend more time in a place as lovely as this? (See also: Top 10 Things To Do At the End of the World.)


Both photos from Photoshow

I also plan on going on REI's two volunteer travel trips in the future. There is one to Machu Picchu and one to the Torres del Paine National Park. Knowing that I would be going to two places and help restore them is a really awesome feeling. I wish there was some way I could go in 2013, but I need to keep saving for the more expensive Antarctica/South America trip instead.

Ahhhhhhh, so excited to do some traveling!!

No comments:

Post a Comment