Monday, July 23, 2012

Hiking Beacon Rock and Going to the Oregon Coast with my Dad and Grandma

This weekend was great. I got to hang out with my dad and grandma, both of whom I haven't seen in a long time, my dad since last summer and my grandma in almost four years! She recently moved to a retirement home in Vancouver, WA, just over the Columbia river from Portland. Our schedules haven't worked out to spending time together yet, but Friday we made it happen! My dad drove down from Tacoma on Friday morning and picked me up, and then we headed to take my grandma to lunch and a drive. Her family is from the area and Willard, WA, is named for our family. Emile Willard was my great-great-grandfather who founded the townsite. Driving through the Gorge with my grandma was really interesting, as she had stories of the olden days of how things used to be through there. The main thing she wanted to do with us was climb Beacon Rock. My dad and I were a little hesitant that she could make it, but she was a champ and we made it to the top, surprising everyone we passed!

Saturday morning my dad and I headed to the coast. On the way we stopped by a stand that sells jerky that Jonathan and I always comment on, because of all the different kinds of jerky they offer. We got kangaroo, ostrich, buffalo, and alligator jerkies. They were all delicious!

Our first stop was Cannon Beach, so I could show him the magic of Ecola Seafoods. It did not disappoint! I had my usual salmon taco and he had blackened salmon with shrimp salad as a side. We also each got a piece of their salmon jerky and he goes, "I'm going to have to get more of this! This is GOOD!" so we ended up stocking up on a bunch of jerky.

After Cannon Beach we headed to Tillamook for ice cream!

(How can you not love an ice cream with "yum" in the name?!)

We then headed to Cape Meares to go look at the lighthouse. I hadn't seen it since 2009, so I was excited to go back again!

After the coast we headed back home and my dad dropped me off! I ended up taking a nap with the little dogs and then headed to a party. All in all, it was an excellent couple of days!

No comments:

Post a Comment