Sunday, September 25, 2011

South Point Higgins Solo Beachcombing Adventure

I just got back home from going to South Point Higgins beach. I wanted to go for a hike today, but couldn't rally anyone up, so I decided to head out for a solo photo adventure with my new LC-A+. I want to mail off some rolls of film tomorrow and wanted to use up the rest of the 100 film in it on this sunny day! I first went to Refuge Cove, but the tide was high and there was no beach. I decided to drive to the end of the road and go to Settler's Cove, but the road was closed for maintenance, so THEN I decided to head to South Point. I'm glad I did because it was so beautiful and I found some cool stuff!




Due to our big storms lately, there was a ton of kelp and garbage washed up from the ocean.
Check out this giant wall of seaweed!

Found a lot of pieces of maps







Hard to tell in this photo, but there is a jet, a tug pulling a barge, and a ferry in it.


Eagle tree

This eagle's nest fell from the tree during our last storm. While I'm sorry the eagles no longer have their nest, it was really neat to see what was in it. Lots of short sticks of a regular size, chunks of moss, and clods of grass and dirt.

Scapula? Lots of bones in the nest area.

Part of a flannel shirt

Resourceful eagles used plastic bags and pieces of net

There is a squirrel on the left tree who was very disgruntled that I interrupted his mushroom-eating time to investigate the nest.

All in all it's been an excellent day off and I still have another one to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment