Thursday, June 14, 2012

Crystal Springs Rhododendron Garden

Yesterday Jonathan and I went to the Crystal Springs Rhododendron Garden here in Portland. It's something that we've been meaning to do for a long time, but just hadn't had time yet. Since he's had this week off work we decided that yesterday would be a good time to go. We went earlier in the morning, around 9am, to beat the amount of people that would surely turn up as the morning progressed. Also, the garden is free on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, which was nice! My only complaint is that this meant people brought their dogs and were feeding the birds in areas they weren't supposed to. Two things that are no-nos according to signage at the park's entrance.

Anyway, it was absolutely beautiful! There are a huge amount of ducks (we saw mallards and wood ducks) and Canada geese, but we also saw herons, scrub jays, Stellar's jays (one of my faves! Didn't realize they were this far into the city!), crows, sparrows, and I saw my first red-winged blackbird!! Pretty cool stuff!

























In case anyone is interested in seeing allllll the photos, I put them in this album! Have you had any fun adventures this week?

2 comments:

  1. That looks so beautiful and peaceful! We almost went there while we were in P-town a couple months ago, but ran out of time:( It's on my list fo-sho now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you definitely should! Jonathan went last year at the end of summer and he says it looked totally different then. Now I also want to go earlier in the year so I can see all the flowers!

      Delete