Tuesday, November 29, 2011
What you need: a jar, cheap vodka, and vanilla beans! The recipe is basically 1oz of vanilla beans for every 8oz of vodka.
Ummm...I think I am making enough vanilla extract for four friends and then I get whatever is leftover?
Three ounces of vanilla beans for my ~24oz of vodka. I added an extra splash to make up for what the vanilla beans would eventually suck up.
I cut the vanilla beans into ~1" pieces and put them into the jar of vodka. Now I just shake the crap out of it every day for the next month or so. Doing this is vaguely exciting.
I lined up my jars. I had no clue how many jars this would use. I could have just calculated it, yes, but that's not that exciting.
I lined a funnel with cheesecloth so that the ginger beer plant couldn't ooze its way through, even though some did in each jar still. That concerned me, although it seems as though (two days later) that things are fine.
Ta da! Four and a half jars!
What I can tell you now about the ginger beer is that the jars seem like they are carbonating fine. I was really worried since I realized later that there was some SCOBY in each jar. I kept booping the top of the jars to see if they were carbonated and it seemed like it took forever, when, in actuality, it probably took less than 24 hours, but they are now all hard! I can't boop the jar! This is exciting! I also see tiny bubbles at the top of each jar, which is a good sign. All in all, I am going to give it another two days and then I think on my birthday (Thursday) I can see if they worked or not! Crossing fingers...