Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Eco-Friendly Finds: Wool Pillows, Cotton Blankets, and Pretty Sheets!

As you may have noticed, I haven't posted any eco-friendly finds in quite awhile. I haven't really been doing any extra "buying" of things, since the point of me being in Ketchikan to work is to save up as much money as I can before going back to Oregon, but while I was on vacation I picked up a book that was really inspiring, National Geographic's Green Guide:


I cannot recommend this book enough. I have already read it cover to cover and I am wanting to go back through it with a highlighter (and I NEVER highlight in my books) to go over the important, pertinent parts to my life. Seriously, this book contains a ton of knowledge and it re-got me thinking about eco-friendly finds.

In our home in Portland, whenever Jonathan and I need to replace things we now try and do it with as Earth friendly items as we can afford. Yes, sometimes being eco-friendly is not affordable, but in some cases it is, as long as you prepare for it. I'm not always ready to drop a couple hundred dollars on anything, but if it's something I feel is important than it is worth saving for. After reading this book I set off on an online hunt to find a few things that I do know need to be replaced. I thought I would share some of the things that I'll most likely be getting later this year, closer to the time when I will be heading back to Portland (except for the pillows...I'll probably get that sooner? Maybe?).

Image from EcoSleepShop

I've been researching wool-stuffed pillows more as an alternative to down, which is not supportive enough for me). I like that wool is fire resistant, allergen resistant, and it breathes. Jonathan and I like wearing wool as a fabric, so why not use it in our pillows? I've also looked at the kapok seed, buckwheat, and latex pillows, but I think we've decided on these ones.

I can't share a picture, but you should check out these organic cotton sheets from Gaiam. We'd be getting the blue set and the green set (team colors represent! ;o). It seems like there are both some really crazy expensive organic sheets and then some moderately priced ones. The reviews say these sheets are "noisy" until they get broken in, but I'm pretty sure I can handle noisy sheets for a bit.

Image from EcoSleepShop.

Totally loving this organic cotton blanket! These blankets are perfect with just a sheet in the summertime or a heavier blanket and sheets in the wintertime. We have one of these now that needs to be replaced and I'm looking forward to this one!

Image from Abundant Earth.

I have been wanting a rug like this (wish there was a picture of the full rug!) for awhile, but haven't really found one that's made of organic cotton, but this one is recycled. We have a few throw rugs that are starting to fall apart, so I'm thinking the runner size of this rug might be kinda nice. I may look around a little bit more since I can't see what the rug actually looks like. I find that a little odd.

I hope you enjoyed seeing some of my eco-friendly finds! If anyone would like to share cool things they've been finding lately or products you can't live without  I'd love to see them!

No comments:

Post a Comment