Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Cyclocross, smoked salmon chowder, and good times with friends!

I made an executive decision this weekend...I withdrew from my stats class on Monday and will be taking it hopefully in winter term in one of the schools here in Portland. For those of you who don't know, I'm finishing up Eastern Oregon University's Anthropology degree. Statistics is one of the required classes. Apparently, distance statistics (being that EOU is in La Grande, OR) and I DO NOT work out. I spent over twenty hours last week working at stats. I still am not retaining information. That's like a part time job of me muddling through stats. I really like it but I am just not getting it. (Does that make sense?) So I am withdrawing a class for the first time ever. I have taken classes on and off since I graduated with my associate's in 2003. I like to learn! So to finally have to withdraw...well, I have learned my limits of learning and this class is not in it. My LET'S EFFIN' DO THIS attitude has only got me so far in this class.

So this weekend I actually had time to do things that I want to do! Namely...

Friday night I went to the Leisure Pub up in St John's to celebrate my friend Krissy's birthday. SO MUCH FUN! I was out for over six hours. This used to be a normal thing for me (it usually included dancing, though) before I moved to Portland, so I was really excited to be out for so long again. I'm kind of an old lady at 27 now. (But I am effin' rocking 27, so don't feel bad.) We had drinks (Irish Car Bombs, I love you), attempted to play the Twilight board game, actually DID play Apples to Apples (I almost won!) and had lots of good times. I can't wait until the next time we hang out!

Saturday Jonathan and I went to DEQ to renew the registration for the car. Extremely exciting, I know. Afterward we went to a garage sale in St. John's, held by some bicycle builders that Jonathan knows about. They were selling frame parts, clothes, and bike pieces. It was really fun! I got to meet some guys that I've heard about and are kinda big in the Portland bike circle, like Ira Ryan, Tony Perreira, and Sasha White. All really nice guys!

Afterward we came home and I had a Naked Lady Party I managed to score some pretty cute stuff that I am looking forward to putting into my clothing rotation. After the ladies left I took a nap on the couch for awhile. I was so tired. Too much fun! Later in the evening we were supposed to meet up with my friend Kate, who was in town, visiting with her boyfriend. We went to the corn maze at the Pumpkin Patch on Sauvie Island, but we stood in line for an hour and a half and never made it in! It was so sad. We went for a drink at Binks, afterward. It was still super great to see Kate, but it would have been nice to do the corn maze! I've been wanting to do this since I moved to Portland!

So instead of the maze we looked at the little market at the farm. It was so neat! I was on the lookout for some local honey. I found some and have since tried it and it is delicious!

So many colors!

 Coolest beans ever?

Honey!

Filberts!

Kate with filberts and market goodies.

Cute sign!

These pumpkin faces are awesome!

I had no clue that Brussels sprouts grew like this.

Sunday afternoon Jonathan and I drove to Sherwood to see a cyclocross race. It was the perfect temperature outside. Not too hot and not too cold. The races were really fun to watch and there were lots of dogs around!





It was super dusty, but really fun! This is the third cyclocross race I've been to. Any excuse to go outside and have fun is a good time by me. :o)

Later that night I was really excited to make smoked salmon chowder for dinner. I have been wanting to make it for a long time, but never did it. I'm so glad I made it because it turned out delicious! I used this recipe from Allrecipes.com.

Sauteing the celery, onions, garlic, butter, and olive oil.

Adding the chicken stock.

Mmmm...smoked salmon!

Pondering the salmon.

I like the color difference!

After adding the cream. It needs to cook for half an hour.

I also made bread with beer in it. This is fizzy beer breadiness.

I used this mix. It was delicious.

The oil drizzle was optional. I went for the drizzle.

Yummy!!

And the chowder ended up totally delicious! I'm so happy this recipe worked out. We had leftovers for dinner, as well. I highly recommend this recipe!

1 comment:

  1. "The oil drizzle was optional. I went for the drizzle." - Cracked me up so much! :o)

    ReplyDelete