Thursday, July 28, 2011

Help A Girl Out!

My friend Amy sent around an email yesterday that I feel is important to share!

"Hello friends!

I hope that this message finds all of you doing well and enjoying the (lovely? Depends on where you are I suppose…) summer! I know I haven't spoken to some of you in some time, so forgive the impersonal nature of this email. But I wanted to fill you in on an exciting project that I've been working on and give you the opportunity to offer your support.
As some of you are aware, in September of 2011, I will be traveling to Oaxaca, Mexico, with a human rights delegation of other activists from Witness for Peace, Community Alliance for Global Justice, and the Washington Fair Trade Coalition.

This specific delegation is focused on food sovereignty issues and immigration in southern Mexico, an area that is home to one of the largest indigenous populations in the state , rich in cultural diversity and history, yet which faces increasing poverty and pressure to migrate north in order to survive. In this area, the original birthplace of maize (corn), small farmers are fighting for the right to save and grow their own seeds without the interference of NAFTA and other US and UN backed trade agreements, or without pressure from large agri-business corporations. Small farmers, community groups, and women entrepreneurs are leading this exciting and vibrant new movement for food sovereignty.

In addition to participating in the delegation in order to deepen my analysis and effectiveness as a community organizer, I will also be photo-documenting my experiences. Upon my return I plan on creating a photo presentation that can be used as an organizing tool to educate local people about the impacts of US food policy on developing countries.

However, in order to make this happen, I need financial support (isn't that usually the story?). The cost of the delegation is $1200 and airfare is around $600. This is more than I can afford on my own, so I’m reaching out to you for help. Please note that this money will be going directly to Witness for Peace and Mexican solidarity organizations, not to me. Don't worry, I'm not asking you to finance my sweet Mexican vacay!

I've been reaching out to the Seattle community over the last several months, planning and participating in a wide variety of fundraising events. But I also wanted to offer my friends and family across the country a chance to be a part of my experience. To that end, I've created a project on Kickstarter, where if you pledge as little as $1, you can receive an awesome reward from me! I need to raise $400 by August 15th in order to be able to go on the trip. I know a lot of us are strapped for cash right now, but I firmly believe that everyone receiving this email can contribute at least one dollar to these great organizations and help make this trip a reality. View my project here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1889594288/living-stories-of-food-and-migration-in-oaxaca-mex.

If you have any questions about my trip, my work around food justice in Seattle, my fundraising efforts, or anything else that crosses your mind, please let me know! I want you to feel confident about your donation and to be able to give generously without reservations. You can always reach me via email or by phone at 206.787.0657.
Thanks everyone for your time—I know that we all have busy schedules and sometimes taking a few minutes to read a long email is a sacrifice! I sincerely appreciate each and every one of you.
Lots of love,

Amy"
 
Can we do this? YES! If anyone could kick $1, $5, whatever amount Amy's way I know she would greatly appreciate it!

No comments:

Post a Comment